There are no dates currently scheduled.
While the concept of virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) have been around for a while, it is only over the past few years that meaningful use cases have emerged.
This workshop will introduce delegates to how immersive technologies like VR and AR can be used to add value to the learner experience and best practice to deliver them effectively. It will also examine how institutions can be positioned to better understand and exploit emergent technologies.
Who should attend
This event will be of interest to all those seeking to make sense of the possibilities that these new technologies introduce in further education as well as more widely in higher education and research.
Academics, learning technologists, support staff, librarians and managers should all find something of benefit at this event.
What we cover
- Introduction to the technology - history, reasons of failure in previous decades and why the time is right for mass adoption
- Case studies in education
- Demos - AR content videos and live examples via Screen
- Hands-on demos
- Tools for creating assets and experiences on tight budgets and timescales
- Predictions for the future ways current tech (VR/AR) can further be enhanced with new tech such as haptics, AI, quantifiable self, IoT (eg wearables to measure and manage personal data)
By the end of the workshop participants will:
- Gain a basic understanding of new technologies such as VR/AR
- Recognise common issues with implementing new technology
- Learn good practices for delivering new technology implementation successfully
- Explore recommendations on how staff can bring VR/AR into their organisation on a very tight budget
- Understand which technologies could potentially disrupt education in the future and better position their organisations
Pricing and eligibility
Jisc members - £150 + VAT1
Non-members - £300 + VAT
- 1 VAT is charged at 20% of the value of the service. If you are a member of Jisc’s VAT-exempt cost sharing group, and you are able to provide confirmation of the exact taxable/exempt use of the service, we will be able to reduce the amount of VAT chargeable to reflect the taxable business use proportion of the service only. This additional information is required as a result of a change to HMRC policy. Please contact email@example.com if you require more information.
For more information, including cost and how to commission this course for your team, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01235 822242.